top of page

Minety RFC 1st XV v Trowbridge RFC 2nd XV

Saturday 22 November 2014

Dorset & Wilts Division 1 North

Minety too strong for Trowbridge

Minety 1st XV 38pts – Trowbridge 2nd XV 8pts

A week can be a long time in the life of a village rugby club and this week was no exception at Minety RFC. Last week’s unavailability all but a distant memory. Eight changes (including six in the pack), a club debut, a final run out for Max Smith and two Minety stalwarts making their first appearance of the season. Beating Trowbridge is never easy and the Minety victory gave rise to much back slapping at the final whistle. But it didn’t start out like that.

Trowbridge playing down the slope in the first half took the lead with a penalty after 8 minutes. Minety then began to up their game. Their ferocious defence and physicality put Trowbridge on the back foot. The home side’s bite in the tackle and dynamic counter rucking led to numerous turnovers throughout the afternoon.

The first Minety try came after 20 minutes following a turnover in mid field. Minety drove the ball deep in the the visitor’s 22. A quick ruck ensued and the ball was moved to inside centre Jack Ward who crashed over for the try.

Minety’s second came of the half hour mark. Trowbridge fielding a Minety kick inside their 22 failed to call “mark”. Whilst the Trowbridge players stood waiting for the whistle, Robin Greenway didn’t as he wrapped up the Trowbridge full back.  The visitors were counter rucked off the ball and Luke Radciff was on hand to canter in under the post. Ash Windle converting.

Trowbridge, unable to compose themselves were back under their post from the re-start. Kicking off deep they found the impressive Pete Roberts on the Minety 22. A searing break leaving tacklers in his wake he was eventually scragged. But a pop out of the tackle to Duncan Simpson saw the scrum half race away for a fine try. Ash Windle adding the extras for a half time score of 19 – 3.

Minety’s fourth try came 10 minutes in to the second half when Dale Langdown finished off a fine move in the corner. Moving the ball from left to right, fluid hands and decisive lines of running led to the winger’s bonus point try.

Minety now had a nose for the line but spurned a number golden chances, choosing individual glory over team tries. Ward’s second try was a case in point. Choosing not to use spare men outside him he backed himself scoring under the posts. with 10 minutes to go. Windle converted to make it 31 – 3.

Minety’s final try was another Ward creation deploying all his ability to great effect. Making a break from the halfway line, he powered down the slope towards the posts only to be hauled down 5m short. As he landed he saw Will North arriving like a train. Popping up off the floor he found the dynamic prop who was rewarded for his 50m support run with a try under the posts. Windle converted to make it 38 – 3 with 3 minutes to go.

Trowbridge had a final foray into the Minety half and came away with a consolation score right on the final whistle. Unable to convert the game finished 38 – 8 and a very welcome return to winning ways. A fitting way for Max Smith to bow out as a Minety RFC player.


bottom of page