top of page

Minety 1st XV v Corsham 1st XV #2

Saturday 3 April 2010

Southern Counties South


Minety 1st XV 12 pts – Corsham 1st XV 18 pts

A critical interception by Corsham early in the second half turned the tide in this game and helped see the visitors home despite a formidable counter-surge by Minety in the final 30 minutes.

Played in miserably wet, windy and muddy conditions on the steeply sloping Nigel Bishop Memorial Ground, this was never going to be an open, flowing game of rugby. Facing downhill in the first half, Corsham sensibly kicked for the corners and kept Minety pinned back in their own 22. Such was the home team’s defensive resolve, however, that they held their line and limited their opponents to a single penalty goal that bounced in off the posts midway through the half.

Turning round 3-nil down, Minety seemingly had only to hold their nerve and play sensibly in the conditions to pull off a vital home win. Instead, they attempted an open and expansive game that saw long passes floating in the air and isolated players a long way from the support of their forwards fumbling to catch a treacherously slippery ball.

Seizing the ball and the initiative, Corsham soon took an interception on half way and romped away for a try under the posts. The kick went over and a yellow card for a misguided late tackle on the scorer saw Minety 10 points down and one man short.

The home team continued to play too much rugby and were duly punished by a second try to Corsham in the top right-hand corner of the field.

Restored to 15 men, Minety finally settled for a more co-ordinated and conservative style of play. Led by a fantastic effort from the forwards, they penned Corsham back on their line and did not release their grip until prop Phil Morton had burrowed over for a try.

The visitors extended their lead with another penalty goal, but Minety patiently worked their way back downfield again. Showing great strength and control in the slippery conditions, the pack bulldozed Corsham’s scrum back over the line for a push-over try.

A successful conversion kick by Jack Ward got the home side within six points of their opponents, but time had run out, leaving Minety to rue the results of that fateful interception.

This Saturday, Minety travel down to Sherborne for their penultimate league game of the season.


bottom of page