top of page

Minety 1st XV v Chippenhan 2nd VX

Saturday 20 September 2014

Dorset & Wilts Division 1 North

Minety off to a fine start at home

Minety 1st XV 11pts – Chippenham 2nd XV 9pts

Minety off the mark with a rare victory over Chippenham 2nd XV.

A bright but overcast afternoon at Minety saw the home side entertain Chippenham 2nds in this Dorset and Wilts North 1 clash. Both sides looked to move ball at every opportunity but two very well organised defences kept the game close . But it was Minety whose hard work and determination were rewarded with a well deserved victory.

After at bright start by both sides the game remained scoreless until the 25 minute. The game’s only try came when inside centre Luke Radcliffe finished off a move begun by No 8 Gareth Peirce. Fielding a clearance kick on the visitors 10m the Minety no 8 set off on a storming run. Eventually hauled down just short of the line the home side recycled quickly. Another quick ruck tied in the last of the Chippenham defenders.  The ball was moved wide again with quick hands and Radcliffe was able to dot down unopposed. 5-0

Minety extended their lead on 32 minutes when Ash Windle kicked a penalty following a Chippenham infringement. 8-0. From the re-start Chippenham were able to make a rare foray into Minety territory. With the hosts unable to maintain discipline they conceded a penalty. A straight forward kick saw the visitors opened their account. 8-3

The second half began with very light drizzle falling and the ball becoming increasingly difficult to control. Both sides looked to exploit this to their advantage with probing kicks. But it was the Minety back who came out on top. They functioned extremely well all afternoon and ran the ball back at every opportunity. On 51 minutes one such counter attack almost led to Minety’s second try. Full back Robin Greenaway, fielding a kick in his own 22, set off up field. Ghosting between two defenders he put try scorer Radcliffe into some space. The powerful Minety inside centre took some stopping before the ball was recycled swiftly. A quick change of direction and a break down the narrow side saw Greenway once again involved. This time putting Dale Langdown over for a certain try – only to be recalled as the well positioned referee ruled the final pass forward.

That close call seemed to galvanise Chippenham into action. They responded with an intensity that saw Minety unable to stay within the laws. As the penalty count crept up so did the Chippenham score. Penalty goals at 59 minutes and 70 minutes made the score 11-9 with 10 minutes to go. An intense finale ensued but Minety were able close out the last few minutes in Chippenham territory and claim a well deserved (if extremely rare) league win against Chippenham 2nds.


bottom of page